Home Licensing Resources Art Licensing Resources: Learn about Art licensing from many sources including SURTEX seminar videos
Selasa, 04 Maret 2014
Art Licensing Resources: Learn about Art licensing from many sources including SURTEX seminar videos
A list of blogs and websites with free information about licensing are on the sidebar under "Licensing Info. - blogs & website" on my blog. By joining the social media sites Facebook and LinkedIn you can belong to licensing groups and be able to ask questions and read comments made by artists, agents and manufacturers. Facebook has "Art of Licensing" and "Surtex (Before and after the Show) groups that discuss licensing. LinkedIn has "Art of Licensing", "Greeting Card, Stationery & Gift Industry Gurus", and more groups that discuss licensing.
Informative seminars about licensing are given during the SURTEX show held in May at the Javits Center in New York and the Licensing Expo in June in Las Vegas, Nevada. Note: Most of the SURTEX show conference sessions are aimed at art licensing while most of the conference sessions at Licensing Expo are more general for all types of licensing industries such as character, entertainment, sports, fashion, art, food and other brands. More information about art licensing can be found at:
• Free youtube.com videos
While on youtube.com search the words "art licensing" to get a large list of videos about art licensing. Many of the videos are about artists and how they got started in licensing their art. Other videos discuss what you need to know and how to succeed in art licensing such as:
– "5 Things artists need to know about art licensing" by artist Tara Reed
– "What it Takes to Succeed in Licensing" by art licensing coach Jeanette Smith
• Free "Ask Calls"
– "Ask J'net Q&A" with art licensing coach Jeanette Smith
Note: Audio downloads of previous "Ask J'net Q&A" sessions can be purchased.
– "Art Licensing Ask Call" with artist Tara Reed and guest speakers
Note: Some audio downloads of previous "Ask Calls" are free while others need to be purchased.
• Purchase classes and teleseminars
– All Art Licensing classes with art licensing coach Jeanette Smith and other art licensing experts. The classes are via live audio and downloadable PowerPoint presentations. They include free downloads of audio and PowerPoint pdf format presentations. Note: Audio and PowerPoint presentation of previous classes can be purchased.
– ArtLiceningInfo.com Teleseminars with artist Tara Reed and other art licensing experts. The teleseminars are via live audio and downloadable PowerPoint presentations and include free downloads of audio and PowerPoint pdf format presentations. Note: Audio and PowerPoint presentation of previous classes can be purchased. Also, e-books on various aspect of art licensing can also be purchased.
• Purchase SURTEX seminar videos
The conferences given by licensing experts at SURTEX are a great way to learn many aspects of the art licensing industry. The 2013 conference had sessions that appealed not only to those new to licensing but to those that have been licensing their work for years. And for the first time, SURTEX videotaped the 1-1/2 hour of eight sessions and offer for sale the links to watch them. Links and passwords can be purchased for $40 per conference session with a discounted price of $110 when purchasing a track of four sessions; $195 for all eight sessions.
Note: I purchased Track II seminars and found the video taping excellent. The information on them are invaluable and worth the price although I was disappointed that the taping of two of the seminars ("Safeguarding Artwork – from Copyrights to Internet Protection" and "Category Spotlight: Textiles & Home Fashion") were cut short and only 45 minutes long.
Below is a list of the conferences. Note: A very impressive list of licensing experts volunteered their time to share their knowledge about art licensing! More information about each conference and purchasing the link and the password are given on the SURTEX 2013 Conference Program page.
Track I - Basics
– "Monetizing Art and Design" with art licensing agents Marty Segelbaum and Nancy Fire
– "In-Depth Look at Art Licensing Basics" with art licensing agent Ellen Seay and artist Carol Van Zandt
– "In-Depth Look at Selling Art & Design" with artists Deborah Shapiro and Chris Verbeek
– "Up Close & Personal: What You Need to Know About Licensing Contracts" with attorney John D. Mason and art licensing agent Julie Newman
Tack II - In-Depth
– "Safeguarding Artwork – from Copyrights to Internet Protection" with attorney Jeanne Hamburg
– "Category Spotlight: Textiles & Home Fashion" with Jennifer Marks (Editor-In-Chief Home Textiles Today), Pam Maffei-Toolan (Vice President Design PK Lifestyles), Andy Sylvia (President Cranston Printworks), Julie Philibert (Senior Designer Warner Wallcoverings)
– "Category Spotlight: Tabletop, Gift & Home Décor" with Allison Zisko (Managing Editor HFN Magazine), Toni Kemal (Senior Trend Analyst Lifetime Brands), Sue Todd (President Magnetworks), Ingrid Liss (Creative Director Demdaco)
– "Category Spotlight: Paper & Stationery" with Susan January (Vice President Leanin’ Tree), George White (President & COO Up With Paper)
Your comments are welcome. Click on the comments section (below) to write your comment. Note: Some people have a problem in leaving a comment. The most successful method is to comment as Name/URL (your name and website or blog with a "complete" URL address).
If artists do not sell products to consumers, why should they read magazines aimed at retailers? The reason is that retailer publications s...
Frequently asked questions by artists about POD (print on demand) websites are "can I make money by opening a POD store and will it hur...
With less than three months before the two 2017 United States licensing trade shows take place ( SURTEX and International Licensing Expo ),...
If artists hope to license their art to manufacturers, they need to create art that consumers want to see on products. Therefore, artists in...
Although attendance at the January 2018 Atlanta International Gift and Home Furnishing Market at AmericasMart Atlanta seemed to be down from...
Licensing art to manufacturers is a challenge. The competition among artists to license their work is growing as more and more artists enter...
When I first started researching the licensing industry over 15 years ago, each manufacturer used many art styles. But now that has changed ...
Art Licensing Editorial - 2017 January Atlanta Gift & Home Furnishings Market Trends / Record-Breaking AttendanceAmericasMart Atlanta, the home of the Atlanta International Gift & Home Furnishing Market, reported a VERY successful show in the artic...
Macintosh computers operating systems (OS) have time saver options, robust ways to find and organize files, and other cool things that many ...
Coffee mugs with art on them are sold in all sorts of retail stores but not much of the art is licensed to companies that make the mugs. Wit...